The Car Accident

In May of 2006 Jason and Michelle were involved in a car accident which resulted in their vehicle going off the side of a cliff. Neither were seriously hurt but Michelle was taken to the hospital because she was pregnant at the time. She did not lose the baby at that time. Many posters believe this was an attempt by Jason to either get rid of the baby, Michelle or both. "Insider" posts explain the accident. Several weeks later she did lose the baby after it stopped developing.

Posted by just the facts: …Car accident was in 5/06, not 5/05.-just another mistake made by the media. I don't know the other poster so not sure where his knowledge is from, but am assuming its not firsthand and that in being passed along, some details have gotten skewed as things tend to do.

I do know Jason and Michelle and spoke to them the day of the car accident not very long afterwards. I know that Jason thought the back of the SUV wasn't closed properly and glanced back to look at that. When he did so, his wheels went off the road to the right. He overcorrected the car and went down an embankment to the left and into the river. No one has ever stated to me that Michelle was reaching for something in the back seat of the car. The state trooper who responded to the accident said there had been multiple accidents there and requests for a guard rail. He said he hoped that accident would be enough to finally get a guard rail put in there. I am quite familiar with that stretch of road having driven it myself many times. The story I was told makes perfect sense and unfortunately, the media has tried to put a nasty spin on it. It was a wreck, plain and simple. It could have happened to any of us.

She was taken to the hospital because she was pregnant and because they had both been in a car wreck with a lot of force/jarring and there was concern of whiplash. She did not lose her baby or experience any pregnancy complications at that time. Some weeks later at a scheduled doctor's visit ultrasound revealed the child had stopped developing. She had to have a medical abortion or she would have miscarried. She and Jason were both devastated. I spoke to them the day they got that news. Her doctors did not in any way feel the accident played any role in the loss of that child. That loss occurred some weeks after the accident As soon as she was given the go ahead, they tried to get pregnant again.


Posted by just the facts: I don't really know what "factual" data I can give you. I'm not in the habit of when a friend calls me telling me about a wreck they've been in, to ask them to provide me with the documentation in case I need it down the road. I know the wreck was this year because I remember where I was when I learned of the wreck and I didn't live here in 2005. As I said, you can believe what you like. What would my motivation to lie be and really, what does the date really matter? You either accept that a wreck occurred in the past and it was what it was - a terrible accident or you don't. I understand that WRAL interviewed the state trooper, but that does not mean he was not misquoted or that they didn't get the date wrong. I would assume a wreck is public record and it should be easy enough to verify if you so choose.

Posted by just the facts: It bothers you when I clarify personal information that has been made very public, not by me, but by the media? Did you object to the media's twisted version of these facts? I have stated nothing that hasn't been stated by the media. The only thing I have done is tried to set the record straight in regard to the facts. The car wreck has been made public. The fact that she was pregnant at the time was made public. The fact that she lost that baby was made public. None of that was made public by me. All I've done is clarify that her doctors never attributed the loss of that child to that car wreck. All I've done is state how excited this young couple was to be pregnant again. Terrible accusations have occurred here including that Jason Young killed his young wife and unborn son. I am saying, I know these people. I know how devastated they were to lose one child and how excited they were to be pregnant again. There are those that have alluded that this car wreck was an attempt to kill his wife and his unborn son. I am simply trying to show how that makes no sense and how that simply was not the case.

Posted by just the facts: Why would he create an accident that would potentially kill himself too? He was in that car right along with her. Either or both of them could have been killed. He's no stunt driver. How would he possible ensure he killed her, but walked away unharmed himself? This is the wild speculation I'm talking about. It just doesn't make sense... It was by the sheer grace of God they walked out of that car that day. No one could have planned an accident like that to kill one person and so the other could walk away. Its just not possible and it simply makes no sense.

Posted by gojo: Car accident was May 29. Barkley Road is a narrow, two-lane farm-to-market road about a mile or two from town. Both were buckled in. Something in the back, maybe a partially closed door? distracted Jason. When he turned to look, he ran off the road to the right, overcorrected to the left, plunged down a steep hill about 20 feet to the French Broad River. Practically no shoulder on the road at that point.It's happened to other people at that stretch of road. No room to widen the road or put up guard rails. But we have other stretches of road like that, too.The French Broad is extremely curvey--meandering--in this upper part of the river. Many of our roads run alongside it for stretches. Again, No LINK, JMO.

FACT, but can't document. MY's doctor said the car accident DID NOT cause the miscarriage.


Posted by frenchbroad: In my reading of the past 2-3 weeks, there are a questions that people have had that I can provide answers to that I can assure you are facts. First, the issue with the car accident.....yes it was his Mitz SUV that JY was driving and the story he told was that he heard a rattling sound at the back window and when he turned to look back to see what the sound was, he went off the road and lost control. He said that the front end of the car stuck in mud but water came in quickly. He and MY had to crawl up a hill to get help.

Posted by raleighwood: Hello, I live about a mile from the Youngs and while I don't know them personally, we do have several mutal friends in common. These friends know them fairly well. Anyway, here are the rumors I have heard so take it for what it's worth. (I'm just sick of not seeing anything new on this board!) Recently a friend spoke to MY a few weeks before her murder and happened to talk about the "bizarre" accident. Michelle apparently described it as "divine intervention" as to how they survived the accident. Cassidy was not in the car. [This post had three points. I posted only the relevant point for this topic. The whole post can be read under Misc Information.]

Posted by Concerned Citize: ...In the spring the couple was involved in an accident in which the vehicle went off the road and into a river. Neither of them were hurt and both walked away uninjured though their car had water damage. It is absurd to assume because someone was involved in a wreck earlier that they were trying to kill their spouse. It also makes no sense - they both were in the car, they both went into the river. They both potentially could have been hurt or killed. State highway patrol responding to the scene commented on the number of accidents that had occurred at this particular spot and said there had beeen numerous requests for a guard rail there. This connection was ridiculous from the beginning.

Posted by Tennisbuff: IMO, too much is being made of the car accident. I'm from Brevard and know right where they went off the road -- it's a curvy road with no guard rail (it needs one). It doesn't take much of a distraction to go off the road there. Plus, most car accidents don't result in death. So if JY had wanted to kill her, a car accident at a speed of 35 miles an hour or less (that's the limit in that area, and the state trooper's report does not say they were speeding) is very unlikely to result in death. Especially in a newer vehicle which likely has decent safety features. Add to it the fact that he was in the car too and would have been at risk. Just doesn't add up.